On Thursday, the United States Soccer released the all-time Best XI for the women’s national team. On Friday, the men’s all-time Best XI were recognized. Just like for the women, the Best XI were voted on by a committee of 56 soccer historians, former players, coaches, media members and administrators at the national team level.
Among the all-timers is Landon Donovan, who received the most votes, as well as current captain Clint Dempsey and goalkeeper Brad Friedel, who edged out Kasey Keller and Tim Howard in what was the tightest race of all the positions. A big congratulations also to FOX Soccer’s very own Brian McBride and Eric Wynalda on forming the top line!
Here’s the full list from the United States Soccer Federation:
Goalkeeper: Brad Friedel 1992-2004 (25 votes)
- Marcelo Balboa 1988-2000 (35)
- Carlos Bocanegra 2001-2012 (25)
- Steve Cherundolo 1999-2012 (25)
- Eddie Pope 1996-2006 (33)
- Clint Dempsey 2004-present (25)
- Landon Donovan 2000-present (52)
- Tab Ramos 1988-2000 (42)
- Claudio Reyna 1994-2006 (45)
- Brian McBride 1993-2006 (45)
- Eric Wynalda 1990-2000 (43)
Thank you for all the messages on being voted to the all time USA XI. Very humbled.— bradley h friedel (@friedel_b)