7
Feb

Disabled Newcastle fan has season tickets pulled after missing first game in 13 years

image

This story will not make Warren Barton happy.

A 65-year-old disabled grandmother and lifelong Newcastle United fan had her season ticket pulled from the club after missing her first match in more than 13 years!

Lilian Held, who lives just a few blocks from St. James Park, had given her ticket to Newcastle’s December fixture against Southampton to her son while she went on vacation. That way, she thought, her two granddaughters, who usually accompany her to the games, would still be able to attend with adult supervision.

Wait, it gets worse.

Midway through the first half of that game, stewards threw Lillian’s 29-year-old son out of the stadium for wrongly being in the seat designated for disabled fans, leaving his 14-year-old twin nieces all alone in the stadium!

OK, surely it can’t get any worse, right?

Wrong.

Upon returning from vacation, Lillian immediately attempted to retrieve her seized season ticket, only to be informed weeks later that her ticket had been sold to another fan. She could pay for a new one next season.

Appalled, Lilian told her story to local paper The Chronicle:

“I have sat in that seat for years. I’m a lifelong fan of Newcastle United and I worked for the club in the 1990s where I had my picture taken with Kevin Keegan.

“Going to the match is the only bit of social time I get. I live for those home games. Taking my ticket from me and selling my seat without giving me the right to even argue my case has completely ruined my year.”

After being bombarded with phone calls and messages after the newspaper ran the story on Thursday, Newcastle felt “compelled” to respond.

This is the club’s statement:

Mrs Held’s subsidized disabled season ticket was cancelled and a pro rata refund given for remaining games of the 2013/14 season following reports of alleged misuse and a subsequent investigation.

As part of this investigation, it was found that Mrs Held’s disabled season ticket seat was being used by an able-bodied supporter during the Newcastle United v Southampton fixture, which is against the terms and conditions agreed at sale.

Mrs Held remains welcome at St James’ Park and can reapply for a concessionary season ticket next season.

Really? There was no better way to settle this?

Well done, Newcastle. *Sarcastic applause*

Photo: Chronicle

25
Jan

Club bans captain after attack on fan

Non-league side Goole banned captain Karl Colley for life after he attempted to fight a visiting fan in the stands following a red card.

After Colley was sent off for a tackle on Coalville’s Cameron Stuart, video footage showed the 30-year-old defender make three attempts to confront a heckling fan, appearing to throw a punch at him on the second occasion.

The Football Association will reportedly look into the incident on Monday, while Goole wasted no time with their response:

"Straight after the game he was sacked," Goole secretary Andrew Morris told Press Association Sport. "This is one individual. I spoke to Coalville after the game and they said also it was one individual. This is a shame because we’re just a group of volunteers. It’s disgusting and embarrassing."

A statement on Goole’s website backed up what Morris said, adding: “After the deplorable incident at today’s home game against Coalville Town, we can confirm that the player responsible has been released by the club.

"We are a family club and incidents of this nature have no place in football and will not be tolerated at the Victoria Pleasure Grounds. The club acted quickly and decisively and released the player with immediate effect and as such the player in question will never play for our football club again. We apologize to each and every supporter at the game today and whilst as a club, we can’t legislate for incidents of this nature, we will not tolerate them from anyone."

The website also listed Colley’s number of past clubs, with Newcastle named as his first. Records show he made a number of friendly appearances for the Magpies.

Coincidentally, Colley’s disgraceful act came on the 19th anniversary of Eric Cantona’s infamous attack on a Crystal Palace fan, for which the Man United player was arrested and convicted for assault, as well as banned from world football for eight months.

8
May

It gets more and more ridiculous every time you watch it.

Roma "tough guy" Daniele De Rossi attempted an absolute shocker of a dive in front of the referee in this weekend’s match against Chievo Verona. He pushed himself off Chievo defender Dario Dainelli and acted as if he had just been shot, and immediately collapsed to the ground.

Shameful is really the only way to describe this act. Thankfully, the referee didn’t have any of it, and it’s probably appropriate karma that Roma lost the match 1-0, which dented their chances to qualify for European competition next season.