9
Nov

Teams threaten to boycott league if player doesn’t take gender test

Park Eun-Seon was the South Korean women’s soccer league’s top scorer last season with 19 goals in 22 games for Seoul City. Now, her rival teams’ coaches have threatened to boycott the new season if Park does not have a gender test. 

Unfortunately for the pack of sore losers, the Korea Football Association responded that Park passed a gender test when she was 15 and that there is no need for another test. Park, 26, played for South Korea in the 2003 Women’s World Cup and the 2004 Olympics.

Park’s gender was called into question once before, prior to the AFA Women’s Asian Cup tournament in 2010. South Korea did not select Park to the squad.

From Sky Sports:

"We have no intention of accepting the gender verification test just to stop the boycott," said Seoul Sports Council general secretary Kim Joon-Soo.

"But if it is needed for Park to compete in an international game and under specific regulations of FIFA, we will consider it. This is a serious violation of human rights that she’s suffering for a second time," said Kim.

"The question regarding Park’s gender identity shall never be raised again. The city of Seoul will take all necessary measures to protect our player’s human rights."

image

Park Eun-Seon’s gender has come into question once again (Image: Haberist)

The boycott threat was issued by six of the seven WK-League teams, but on Thursday one of the coaches said he was resigning from the request. That coach reportedly insisted that their motives had been misunderstood and that they had simply been joking.

Terrible joke, we reckon.

On her Facebook page Park said she felt “humiliated” by again facing questions about her gender. “I’ve worked so hard to get to this point, and I will not give up easily. I know what these people are trying to do, and I won’t fall down,” she added.

24
Jul

HBO’s ‘Real Sports’ casts damning light on Chivas USA, MLS

By Kyle McCarthy, FOXSoccer.com

The report aired by HBO’s Real Sports on Tuesday night regarding the odious situation at Chivas USA offered precious little new information to anyone familiar with the recently filed lawsuit. It did, however, provide powerful imagery to accompany a chilling, one-sided narrative alleging rampant, institutionalized racial discrimination at the club.

A sympathetic young boy and his mother who felt forced out of the Chivas USA youth academy due to their race and a questionnaire designed to ascertain his lineage. A pair of former MLS players and Chivas USA academy coaches allegedly fired from their jobs despite satisfactory job performance because they did not embody the Mexican heritage of the club. And a former Mexican international – a decent man with absolutely no business handling these sorts of delicate matters – sacrificed on camera by his club to answer questions evasively and shepherded off-screen by his handlers when the interview inevitably reflected his untenable position.

Read More